Friday, September 3, 2010

FAMILY A Proclomation to the World

I came across this blog, http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/ , and they are celebrating Family in September. What a GREAT idea!!! So I thought I would blog about family, my family, during the month of September. It's based on THE FAMILY A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD published for the world in 1995 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's an amazing document!! I love it!! Our family has tried to live by its precepts and ideas the whole time we have been married, 23 years. The things that I write during this month are my feelings, opinions, and thoughts.





"Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."





When we were talking about getting married we discussed how we were raised. We decided that once children started arriving in our family I would stay home to take care of them and give them the love and attention that they deserved. We had a few years where I went to work and our family fell apart. It was a disaster!! When I stay home and am there for the girls when they leave and get home from school, work, or out with friends, I feel happy and satisfied. Our family works that way. I'm there to help with homework, when they aren't smarter than me, teach them homemaking skills that I learned from my Mom and Grandmas. Now that the girls are getting older and starting to leave home, I hope that we have taught them well. I hope I have taught them to love being a Mom, a stay at home Mom.





Being a Stay At Home Mom, SAHM, seems to be a job that is looked down upon in society today. That bothers me. I see children who are left to there own devices each day, have everything they want without having to work for it themselves. I see families that are split apart, Mom lives in one house with the children and Dad gets weekend visits. Moms that work hard and are too tired to be Moms. Children having children because they are craving the love and attention that they themselves never received.





I LOVE being a SAHM. I got to teach my children to walk, talk, cook, clean, play. I didn't miss their first steps, first words, first tooth, first day of school. I saw the first real smile, got to feed them each meal, cuddle to read a good book. I got to go to each Parent Teacher Conference, volunteer at their school, help with homework, kiss the boo-boos away. I got to hear about their fears, joys, sorrows, heartbreaks, first dates.





Don't get me wrong, I understand that sometimes Moms have to work outside their homes because of divorce, disabilities, or because of a death of their spouse. But is it always necessary? Is it because the family wants more toys to occupy their time? Is it to pay off those overextended credit cards? We've managed fine on one income, a lot of families we know manage on one income so that Mom can stay at home. I've seen a lot of families ruined because of too much 'stuff' because Mom went to work.





I'm so thankful that I have a husband who works hard, sometimes long hours, and sometimes two jobs, to support our family. I've also seen him passed over for promotions because the boss has to fill a quota because a woman applied for the job. I've seen him discouraged because the other person had a better figure when he had more experience and education and seniority. My husband is a wonderful provider, he takes care of us, provides the needs of our family, and supports us all in the things that we do. He appreciates us as much as we appreciate him.

No comments: