Friday, December 10, 2010

Meatloaf and Scalloped Potatoes

I am always trying to be a better wife and mother, as I'm sure we all are, and this week seems to be the week that I started enjoying cooking again. For the past several years Wendy has done most of our cooking, and got pretty possessive of the kitchen. It was all fine with me, but now that she's gone back to Utah to live with my parents I've found that if I don't want to starve my the remaining members of my family, I have to cook. I forgot how much I enjoy cooking! If you are on my friends list on Facebook, you know that I've been cooking all week. So since I've decided I want to be Betty Crocker this week, I decided I could share some of these yummy meals.



We'll start tonight's dinner - Meatloaf and Scalloped Potatoes.



Meatloaf



1 pound ground beef

1 medium onion, diced

1 medium green pepper, diced

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1 or 2 slices of bread, torn into small pieces





Preheat oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius. Mix all ingredients together. (I like to use my hands, it gives it a more homey taste - but make sure you wash your hands!) Place in a greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!



Scalloped Potatoes



6 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded

1/4 green pepper, diced

1/2 cup sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken

1 onion, diced or 1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix

1 package shredded Colby/Jack cheese

1/2 cup French's French Fried Onions




Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit/200 degrees Celsius. After peeling and shredding potatoes, mix with sour cream, green pepper, onion or soup mix, cream of mushroom/chicken soup, and half bag of shredded cheese. I like to use my hands to mix ingredients, it just gives it that homey taste. ;0) (Please make sure your hands are clean!) Put in 9x13 inch lightly greased pan, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle French's French Fried Onions on top and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!


I served these amazing dishes with green beans and fresh bread from the local bakery. It was very good!


I follow a blog http://theamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com/ , the lady that writes it is Angie. She is amazing! You should go over and check out her blog! She blogs about EVERYTHING, cooking, raising her three children on her own, work, friends, church, crafts! And she does it all with an apron on!! Did I mention she's amazing?! She has inspired me to make my dinner table look nice for my family. This is what I came up with for tonight. Doesn't it LOOK good? I think it turned out rather nice myself.

No comments: